Extra Support If You Need It

For those of you who need extra support as you move onto the next stage of your education, there are many different paths available.

Organisations and services providing support will work together to help you continue your education and training, or find a job, and it gives you a greater say in the support you need and how it’s provided.

There are many options including staying on at school, going to a further education or specialist college, applying for work-based training with an employer or training provider and voluntary work. Your current teachers and those at the school or college you’re applying to, will be able to give you information about educational support you can get.

It’s worth looking into specialist colleges as these offer extra facilities and one-to-one support you may not get at your local college or school. They might be helpful if, for example, you have sight or hearing difficulties, need medical care, or require special equipment. Universities will have many on-campus support services available to disabled students. Most universities, institutions and colleges have disability co-ordinators and advisors that are on hand to help. Supported internships are another popular route for students with learning difficulties or impairments. To be eligible you need a Statement of SEND, a Learning Difficulty Assessment, or an Education Health and Care Plan.

Internships are offered by further education colleges, sixth form and independent specialist providers. They are unpaid and last for at least six months with the aim of getting a paid job. These study programmes are put together to give each student the training, support and work skills they need to help them get employment.

Most of the learning is done in the workplace with hands-on experience. At the same time you will also have the chance to study for qualifications and other training or learning. During the internship you will have a tutor and expert job coach to work with you and the employer. You can find out more about
supported internships from your school, local college, social worker, transition worker, or from Job Centre Plus.


Other Advice